Ever stopped to think about how bonkers the digital marketing world in the UK really is?
From the online buzz of London to the techie startups in the most remote parts of the country, the UK’s mix of old-school charm and digital savvy is something else.
Whether you’re a pro marketer, just kicking off your startup, or simply nosy (no judgement!), there’s a ton of wild and wacky stuff going on in the UK’s online world, which is why we’ve compiled a list of some of the most interesting digital marketing facts from our side of the pond.
We keep this list of digital marketing stats constantly updated, with the latest update in January 2024:
1. 94% of digital marketers are already using AI within their digital advertising in 2023.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is already embedded in the digital marketing toolkit, with almost all of marketers utilising this technology.
2. Digital marketing spending in the UK is grew to £25.84 billion in 2022, representing 44.5% of all advertising spending.
Digital marketing is the fastest-growing segment of the advertising industry in the UK. This is due to the increasing adoption of digital devices and the growing popularity of online shopping.
3. Social media is the most popular digital marketing channel in the UK, with 89% of businesses using it to reach their target audience.
Social media is the most popular digital marketing channel because it allows businesses to connect with their target audience directly and build relationships with them.
4. Search engine optimisation (SEO) is one of the most important digital marketing channels for merchants in the UK, with 77% of businesses investing in it.
SEO is one of the best marketing channels because it helps businesses to improve their visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs). This can lead to more website traffic and more customers.
5. Paid search advertising is also popular in the UK, with 65% of businesses using it
Paid search advertising such as Google Ads is popular because it allows businesses to reach their target audience at the moment when they are searching for products or services like theirs.
6. Content marketing is another important digital marketing strategy, with 78% of UK businesses investing in it.
Content marketing covers a range of digital marketing tasks including blog writing, guest posting and creating helpful guides and videos. It is important because it helps businesses to attract and engage their target audience by providing them with valuable information.
7. Email marketing is also widely used in the UK, with 86% of businesses using it to communicate with their customers.
Email marketing is popular because it is a direct and effective way to communicate with customers. With so many businesses using this method, it’s clear it’s a vital cog in the running a digital marketing business.
8. Video marketing is also becoming more popular in the UK, with 65% of businesses using it in their marketing strategies.
Video marketing is becoming more popular because it is an effective way to engage and inform customers. Videos are a really useful way to get information across quickly, leading to a big increase in popularity.
9. The UK is one of the leading countries in the world when it comes to digital marketing. In 2022, the UK was ranked the third-largest digital advertising market in the world.
The UK is a leading country in the world when it comes to digital marketing. This is due to a number of factors, including the high adoption of digital devices, the growing popularity of online shopping, and the presence of a number of world-class digital marketing companies in the UK.
10. The UK digital marketing industry is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.3% between 2022 and 2027.
The UK digital marketing industry is expected to continue to grow in the coming years. This is due to the increasing adoption of digital devices and the growing popularity of online shopping.
11. The digital marketing industry in the UK employs over 1.5 million people.
The digital marketing industry in the UK employs a large number of people. This is good news for the UK economy and for people who are looking for a career in digital marketing.
12. The average salary for a digital marketer in the UK is £45,000.
The average salary for a digital marketer in the UK is competitive. This suggests that there is a strong demand for digital marketing skills in the UK and good employability prospects.
13. The most in-demand digital marketing skills in the UK are SEO, content marketing, and social media marketing.
These digital marketing skills are essential for businesses that want to succeed online. SEO is an in-demand skill due to it’s large potential for revenue increases.
14. 75% of UK marketers claim that digital marketing has helped them build trust with their customers
Digital marketing can often be the first interaction your business has with a customer so it’s vital it’s done correctly to build trust.
15. 49% of UK businesses say that digital marketing gets them the best return on investment (ROI).
Digital marketing was found to be have the best ROI in almost half of UK businesses. This suggests that digital marketing is a cost-effective way to market your business, with results a lot more measurable than traditional marketing techniques.
16. Successful brands in the US and UK spend 21% of their budget on digital marketing.
This is a high proportion of a businesses budget and suggests that digital marketing is a vital part of the marketing mix for successful businesses.
17. 63.2% of UK businesses highly rely on visual content in their digital marketing.
With two thirds of UK businesses relying on visual content such as videos and images in their digital marketing, it’s clear visuals are a vital part of the content marketing mix.
18. 77% of digital marketers in the UK invested in data to improve their digital marketing in 2021.
Quality data is the best starting point for effective digital marketing. Three quarters of businesses are using data to make informed decisions about their digital marketing campaigns.
19. 89% of global consumers say checking online reviews is part of their buying journey.
Online reviews are an increasingly important factor in purchasing decisions for UK consumers. User generated content (UGC) such as reviews and other third party information is important in building trust.
20. 68% of business-to-consumer (B2C) marketers stated they were using influencer marketing in 2022.
The ‘influence’ of influencers continues to grow – particularly in the B2C sector where people may be more likely to make purchasing decisions based on people they follow using products.
Ready to Make the Most of Google Ads for your Business? Get in Touch
Overall, these 20 facts suggest that digital marketing is a vital part of the marketing mix for businesses in the UK. Digital marketing can help businesses to reach their target audience, build trust with customers, and generate leads and sales.It’s clear that digital marketers need to stay on top of the latest technological developments – particularly in utilising AI – in order to remain competitive.
Get in touch today to stat your digital marketing journey.